Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters In this Nov. 11, 2017, photo, a Shinto ceremony is held to pray for the safety of sumo wrestlers before the start of the Kyushu Grand Sumo tournament in Fukuoka, southwestern Japan. Nobuyoshi Hakkaku, head of the Japan Sumo Association, apologized Wednesday, April 4, 2018 over an incident in which women first responders were asked to get out of the ring as they attempted to revive an official who collapsed in Maizuru, western Japan. In sumo’s tradition, the ring is considered sacred and women are prohibited from entering. (Kyodo News via AP)A female Japanese mayor was barred Friday from delivering a speech inside a sumo ring a day after controversy erupted over a longstanding ban on women entering the sport’s rings.On Thursday Japan’s sumo association chief made headlines at home and abroad after issuing an apology to several women who were ordered out of a sumo ring while trying to offer life-saving medical assistance.ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback “Isn’t it important to have the courage to reform while keeping tradition?”City spokesman Yuki Miyata told AFP the association had cited “tradition” in rejecting Nakagawa’s request, adding that the mayor planned to make the request again the next time the city hosts a sumo tournament.Among the male officials who have delivered speeches from inside sumo rings is the mayor of the western city of Maizuru, who collapsed Wednesday while addressing the audience at a bout.When several women, among them a nurse, rushed to help him, an announcement was made repeatedly over loudspeakers asking them to leave the ring.The sumo association chief, who goes by the name Hakkaku, described the announcements as “an inappropriate act in a situation that involves one’s life”.“We deeply apologise,” he added, thanking the women for their help.The incident sparked an uproar in Japan, which lags behind many countries on gender equality.But the government declined to comment Friday, citing the sumo association’s status as a “private entity”. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerism Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina “But because I am a woman, despite being a mayor, I cannot make a speech in the ring.”“It is regrettable and mortifying,” she said, drawing cheers from the crowd.Nakagawa delivered a speech from outside the ring last year, when the city hosted a tournament, but said she had not realised she was being prevented from entering the ring because of her gender.After seeing a male mayor deliver a speech from inside the ring, she unsuccessfully petitioned sumo authorities to extend her the same right.“We may have a female prime minister some day… I want them to think about whether they would hold her back,” she said.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew View comments Batang Gilas escapes Japan, qualifies for Fiba U17 World Cup Women are traditionally banned from sumo rings, which are sacred spaces in the Shinto religion from which the sport emerged, because they are considered “ritually unclean”.READ: Sumo in uproar as women first responders ordered out of ring FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownOn Friday mayor Tomoko Nakagawa from the western city of Takarazuka slammed a decision to prevent her from delivering a speech from a sumo ring, something her male counterparts have regularly done.“I’m a female mayor but I am a human being,” she said in a speech delivered from a podium sited outside the ring.
James Yap turned back the clock and delivered a performance that defied time itself putting up his best offensive game in four years with 27 points on seven three-pointers that tied his career-high mark.Yap’s performance, however, wasn’t the only narrative in the game as Rain or Shine head coach Caloy Garcia blasted the game officials for what he saw as unfair officiating. FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“It feels good to win but I’m not satisfied with how the game ended,” said Garcia. “We didn’t get any calls in the fourth, everything they did is bump us and they weren’t called for anything.”Globalport got called with four fouls in the fourth quarter while the Elasto Painters were whistled 12 times including a Flagrant 1 on Chris Tiu after Paolo Javelona sold it at the 5:24 mark of the period. ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Pringle led Globalport with 23 points, five rebounds, and eight assists while Malcolm White struggled with 12 points on 5-of-17 shooting with 10 boards. PBA IMAGESRain or Shine avoided being on the wrong side of history and knocked out pesky Globalport, 103-97, in the rubber match in the 2018 PBA Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals series Thursday at Mall of Asia Arena.The Elasto Painters, who finished the eliminations with a league-best 9-2 record, avoided being the fourth no.1 team to be eliminated in the quarterfinals by the eighth seeds.ADVERTISEMENT Report: Disney dropping the ‘Fox’ from movie studio names Putin’s, Xi’s ruler-for-life moves pose challenges to West Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Trump assembles a made-for-TV impeachment defense team “If we do something like that we get called, that was terrible officiating in the fourth and I don’t know why.”Those fouls also played a role in the Elasto Painters losing their 11-point lead, 99-88, in the final 1:38.Globalport was able to mount a 9-2 run to cut the deficit to four, 101-97, after Stanley Pringle’s three-pointer.Time, however, wasn’t on the side of the Batang Pier as Gabe Norwood iced the game from the stripe hitting two free throws with 10.1 seconds left.Reggie Johnson had a team-high 29 points for the Elasto Painters while grabbing 15 rebounds and dishing out six assists while Raymond Almazan and Tiu added 16 and 12 points, respectively.ADVERTISEMENT Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NLEX, Blackwater to represent PH in Asia League Super 8 LATEST STORIES View comments
Starting her round on the tenth, Dreher parred her opening two holes before dropping a stroke on the 12th hole. She would follow that with a double bogey on the 13th before making par on her next five holes.On hole one Dreher bogeyed the par four, parred her next two and dropped another stroke on hole four. She went on to par holes five through eight and ended her round on a positive note with a birdie on the ninth.Dreher is below the cut line for the event. According to her website her next event will be in two weeks time on the Symetra tour in Battle Creek, Michigan. – Advertisement –
– Advertisement –
GFF Elite League III…Milerock and Victoria Kings football clubs contested one of the most intriguing match ups of the recently resumed Guyana Football Federation’s (GFF’s) Elite League III on Friday evening at the Leonora Stadium.Kings managed to come out on top 5 – 3 and move on to 22 points. The fourth place holders were led by a second-half hat-trick from Aubrey Gibson which shifted the weight of the battle in the closing moments.Keon Sears put the Linden-based Milerock ahead as early as the sixth minute, and he struck again in the 41st minute, but the Victoria Kings managed to pull one back before the half time whistle, compliments of Nickosi Denny.When play resumed, Brentsley Allicock found the back of the net to make it a two-possession match in Milerock’s favour. However, no one could tell in the next ten minutes what Gibson had in store would be all that was needed for the win.Gibson struck in the 59th minute, then again 10 minutes later, thus placing the match on an even keel at 3 – 3. Eight minutes later, this gladiator gave his side the lead for the first time in the match. It was not a grip the Kings intended to have loosened, and they held it right down to the end, with Azumah Roberts picking up the final goal in injury and stoppage time to comfortably give Victoria Kings three points.Milerock are, however, still in seventh place, with nine points on the board.In the other match, Guyana Defence Force (GDF), sitting at 5th, got past New Amsterdam United, who currently sit in the cellar.GDF moved on to 21 points with their 3 – 0 drubbing of the Berbicians. Jeffery Perreira and Cedric Osborne were the army scorers in the 12th and 31st minutes respectively, while Delroy Fraser accounted for the other goal in the 66th minute.
The Philadelphia Phillies renewed the NL MVP’s contract, giving the first baseman a $900,000 salary after the sides failed to agree on a long-term deal. The figure matches the highest base salary in a one-year contract for a player not eligible for arbitration. St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols agreed to a $900,000, one-year contract in 2003. Howard set a record for the highest salary on a one-year contract for a player with less than two years of major-league service. SURPRISE, Ariz. – Sammy Sosa went 0 for 3 with two strikeouts and a walk in his spring training debut, a “B” game for the Texas Rangers. Fifth on the career list with 588 home runs and attempting a comeback after sitting out last season, Sosa swung at the first pitch he saw. The 38-year-old former NL MVP hit a weak flyout. PHOENIX – Oakland Athletics center fielder Mark Kotsay plans on seeking a third opinion on his troublesome back after meeting with a private physician . The Santa Fe High School graduate, bothered by back problems late last season, has not practiced since Monday. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! But no other Eagles batters hit the ball hard before Matsuzaka was replaced after the second inning by Kyle Jackson. “It’s not a realistic goal to go out there and think I might hit a home run or a double. No one expects it,” Ayers said. “I’m hoping just to have a quality at-bat, make solid contact. I think that’s the best-case scenario. I’m hoping to see a fastball.” Ayers, a punter on the BC football team, took third when Ryan Hutchinson was out at first on a ball tapped in front of the plate that was fielded by catcher Jason Varitek as Matsuzaka charged in from the mound. Then Matsuzaka struck out the next two batters. Matsuzaka is scheduled to make his first appearance against major leaguers on Tuesday against the Florida Marlins. CLEARWATER, Fla. – Ryan Howard got a raise. He’s still one of the biggest bargains in baseball, though. Fifteen photographers stood behind home plate to capture his warmup pitches and more than 100 media members attended the much-anticipated debut, even though it was just an exhibition game against a college team. Johnny Ayers, a junior right fielder, lined Matsuzaka’s first pitch, a fastball, to left field for an opposite-field double. Some of his teammates in the dugout focused cameras on him as he took his swing. FORT MYERS, Fla. – Daisuke Matsuzaka’s spring training debut with the Boston Red Sox began when he gave up a leadoff double to a college junior. The Japanese pitcher then retired the six batters he faced on Friday. Matsuzaka threw 25 pitches, 19 for strikes in the first two innings against Boston College.
What about this for a scary scene?It’s ‘scary’ the lengths some people will go to in order to help out a very worthy cause!Staff, students and VTOTs creche staff and children from the Adult Education and Training Centre Letterkenny did a Halloween 5k Walk fundraiser in aid of Donegal Hospice yesterday. And after the frightening the life out of half of Letterkenny, they managed to raise a whopping €404.50. Congrats to al involved!Staff present a cheque to Grace Boyle of the Donegal Hospice. DONEGAL HOSPICE GETS A FRIGHT BUT IT’S ALL FOR A GOOD CAUSE! was last modified: October 24th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
CHLOE and Sam Magee have won the Hellas Open mixed doubles title in Greece.The sister and brother from Raphoe beat Blagovest Kisyov and Dimitria Popstoikova of Bulgaria 21-14 21-10 in today’s final.Ireland’s No1 duo defeated Germany’s Marvin Emil Seidel and Linda Efler in Saturday’s semi-final. Chloe also reached the singles final but was unable to land a unique double having lost 21-13 21-13 to Linda Zetchiri of Bulgaria. CHLOE AND SAM MAGEE WIN MIXED DOUBLES TITLE was last modified: May 18th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Championschloe mageeGreeceHellas OpenSam Magee
O’Rourke celebrates after winning the Ulster title last year which ended a 25 years drought for Monaghan, on Sunday they aim for two-in-a-row.Monaghan manager Malachy O’Rourke is wary of the threat Donegal pose to his side’s chances of retaining the Anglo Celt Cup.Donegal meet Monaghan on Sunday in a repeat of the 2013 Ulster Final decider, a game in which underdogs Monaghan upset the odds to stun Donegal and stopped their quest to win three Ulster titles in-a-row.Manager O’Rourke believes last season was a bit of an off-year for Jim McGuinness’s charges, and says their form so far this year would indicate they’re back operating at the level they were in 2011 and 2012. He feels his team will be up against it on Sunday, stating that they’re facing a team that has a serious pedigree.O’Rourke said, “People forget Donegal were All-Ireland champions two years ago, they’ve serious pedigree.“They won two Ulster titles in-a-row, lost to us last year, and are back in the decider again this year.They’re a serious team, and we face a serious test on Sunday for us but that’s why you play football. O’Rourke also believes Donegal are carrying a lot of hurt from last year, after the humiliation they received at the hands of Mayo in the All-Ireland quarter-final.“They’re carrying hurt from last year, without a doubt, they’re hurting.“They look hungry, and I was impressed with how they applied themselves against Derry, and also how they performed in the second-half against Antrim.“We’ll prepare as well as we can for Sunday and hope we can get a big performance from our players. MONAGHAN MANAGER O’ROURKE WARY OF DONEGAL THREAT was last modified: July 14th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalGAAMalachy O’RourkeMonaghannewsSportUlster Final
Celtic have been busy showing their intent already by snapping up highly-rated striker Odsonne Edouard, who spent last season on loan at Parkhead.“Our fans saw exactly what he is capable of last season and we look forward to working with him again as we look to build on the tremendous success we achieved last year,” manager Brendan Rodgers told Celtic’s website. The 20-year-old even has a NSFW song about him to the tune of ‘rhythm is a dancer’. Celtic players whose contracts expire in 2019Scott Brown, midfielder (33)Dedryck Boyata, defender (27)Mikael Lustig, defender (27)James Forrest, midfielder (27)Cristian Gamboa, defender (28)Ryan Christie, midfield (23)Scott Allan, midfield (26)Dorus de Vries, goalkeeper (37)Info is correct as of 19/07/18 and comes courtesy of transfermarkt.com Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has made a statement of intent with the signing of Odsonne Edouard Celtic captain Scott Brown won the Players’ Player of the Year last season Celtic fans have cost club over €500,000 – ‘They’re an embarrassment’, says McCoist CONFIRMED TOP BOSS Old Firm ultras Big Sam makes ‘Allardicio’ Man United claim, says anyone can win with Celtic ‘Rangers must deliver’ – Celtic hero warns Gerrard and slams ‘serial loser’ Tavernier do it rival joy Forster heroics as ten-man Celtic stun dominant Rangers to win League Cup Celtic skipper expecting Old Firm title race to go down to the wire this season 2 Arsenal fans are in for a treat when Tierney gets into stride, Brown says Rangers slip up at Aberdeen as Celtic go two points clear in Scottish Premiership GOT IT ALL 2 In addition, the club also made goalkeeper Scott Bain’s deal permanent.But what about departures? The Scottish champions have let some players leave already this summer, but decisions need to be made about others, especially those whose current deals expire in 2019. They won’t want to lose anyone for nothing next year and Tom Rogic recently penned a new deal to avoid this, while Stuart Armstrong moved to Southampton, so here, talkSPORT.com looks at other players with a year left. BRING IT ON Man United, Arsenal, Wolves, Rangers and Celtic discover Europa League opponents CELTIC NEWS round-up NAME GAME Rangers vs Celtic: Kick-off time, how to watch for free and team news cup final ‘Celtic were lucky to have Brendan Rodgers’, says Bhoys captain Scott Brown