Rails To Trails Seeks To Cohabitate With Beaver Colony

first_imgSteve Raubenstine/PixabayFREWSBURG — High waters created by a beaver damn near the Main Street trail head of the Rails To Trails path have delayed the project, but officials say they are working to co-exist with nature’s construction engineers.Town of Carroll Supervisor Russell Payne told WNYNewsNow that a solution is being sought that will complete the trail without harming the beavers or their habitat.“I know their still working on trying to solve the high water issues due to the proximity to the beaver damn,” Payne said.Officials and Department of Environmental Conservation staff are seeking an environmentally friendly solution, he said. “We want to coexist with the beavers,” Payne said.The first phase of the project will run from Main Street to Riverside Road and the second phase will from Riverside Road to the Pennsylvania State Line.Payne said the close proximity to the Audubon Community Nature Center on Riverside Road is a natural tie-in to the trails.“That is one of the draws and it will bring people into the Town of Carroll as a tourist attraction,” Payne explained. “People want to see wildlife when they are using the trails.”Efforts to reach Jim Fincher, Chautauqua Rails To Trails director, were unsuccessful. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Indiana utility moves ahead with coal phase-out plans

first_imgIndiana utility moves ahead with coal phase-out plans FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Northwest Indiana Times:Three upcoming wind farm projects will help NIPSCO move toward its goal of being coal-free by the end of 2028, the company announced Friday.Wind farms in Montgomery, White and Benton and Warren counties will add nearly 300 turbines and 800 megawatts of electricity generating capacity to the state’s landscape, and NIPSCO has entered agreements to acquire power from each.The projects involve partnerships between the Merrillville-based utility and the private companies developing the farms. The agreements resulted from a request NIPSCO issued last year for proposals for alternative energy generation.“We’re excited for the opportunity to add more home-grown renewable energy in Indiana,” NIPSCO President Violet Sistovaris said in the company’s announcement. “In addition to the economic benefits that projects like these add, the transition we’re making in our electric generation equates to an estimated $4 billion in cost-savings for customers over the long-term.”NIPSCO’s “Your Energy, Your Future” plan calls for retirement of its coal-fired generators at the Schahfer plant near Wheatfield by the end of 2023, and of the generator at its Michigan City plant by the end of 2028. Its strategic plan, developed last year, concluded that the long-term cost of coal, including the cost of maintaining coal-fired plants, was higher than the cost of other sources, including wind and solar, coupled with battery storage technology.NIPSCO received a total of 90 responses to its request for proposals, with 70 in Indiana. More projects could result from those proposals, and NIPSCO intends to issue a second request for proposals for renewable energy projects this year. NIPSCO has submitted the wind farm plans to the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission for its approval. NIPSCO and the project developers expect the farms to be operational by late 2020.More: NIPSCO plans partnership with 3 wind farms in Indianalast_img read more

EIA: U.S. coal consumption likely to fall to 453 million tons in 2020, down 23.9% from prior year

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享S&P Global Market Intelligence ($):Coal production was forecast to fall 24.3% in the U.S. Energy Information Administration’s latest “Short-Term Energy Outlook.”Coal plants are expected to bear the brunt of a decline in overall electricity demand. Combined with persistently low natural gas prices, the lower demand is expected to drive 2020 average coal consumption to 453 million tons, down 23.9% compared to 2019 levels.U.S. coal production is now expected to total 522.6 million tons in 2020, down 24.3% from 2019. Coal production in 2020 will be 30.8% lower than 2018 levels, according to the forecast. The EIA projected that annual coal production will bounce back to about 549.6 million tons in 2021.The outlook for coal generation and production are slightly lower than the agency’s April estimates. Steve Winberg, assistant secretary for fossil energy at the U.S. Department of Energy and former Consol Energy Inc. executive, recently suggested in remarks at an industry conference that there could be early coal plant retirements due to the coronavirus.Coal exports, which dropped from 115.6 million tons to 92.9 million tons from 2018 to 2019, are expected to drop to 63.2 million tons in 2020. The EIA forecast that coal exports will grow to 70.5 million tons in 2021.[Taylor Kuykendall]More ($): EIA forecasts U.S. coal production will fall 24% below 2019 levels this year EIA: U.S. coal consumption likely to fall to 453 million tons in 2020, down 23.9% from prior yearlast_img read more

Tour Operators From Around The World To Attend Show In Costa Rica

first_imgBy Dialogo May 15, 2009 Hundreds of tour operators from around the world will meet at the XXV Expotur Fair, to be held in Costa Rica starting this Thursday, which features innovations designed to protect the environment, the event’s organizers reported. Expotur is the “catch-all for Central American tourism marketing,” which annually brings together companies in the region that provide services and companies from other parts of the world looking for things to sell to their customers. 250 companies from the United States, Canada, Europe, and South America will participate in this year’s event, according to Patricia Duar, Executive Director of the Costa Rican Association of Tourism Professionals, which organized the fair. As a counterpart, some 300 companies from Costa Rica and other Central American countries related to tourism, such as hotels, airlines, car rental, bank, and credit card companies, among others, will participate. This time the fair, which started 25 years ago, will have several new features, such as specialized tours operators: rural, medical, educational, conferences-and-conventions-related tourism types, among others, said Duar. Another innovation is that Expotur 2009 reunion will be the first “carbon neutral” business meeting; in other words, it will offset the greenhouse gas emissions that its activities generate. To that end, organizers have pledged to plant 20,000 trees across the country and give them the care and monitoring they need to grow. In addition, instead of printed materials, the participants in the Fair will receive a USB storage device containing all relevant information. The economic crisis has affected tourism in Central America, but to a lesser extent than it has in other parts of the world, according to officials in the sector. The fair will end on Friday.last_img read more

Address two important cybersecurity questions

first_img 10SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr In recent years, governmental agencies and the legal system have demonstrated decreasing degrees of leniency toward organizations with cybersecurity shortcomings—whether in their actual defenses, or even misrepresentations of those defenses.Some enforcement actions have included fines of $100,000 or more, and in many jurisdictions plaintiffs no longer need to demonstrate actual damages for the courts to consider their lawsuits.Against that backdrop, Patrick Sickels of CU Answers says credit union boards must ask two crucial questions: “Do you have a problem with your cybersecurity defenses, or are you misrepresenting your cybersecurity practices to the public?” he says. “Either one of those can get you into some pretty significant hot water.”The regularity of major incidents in recent years has stripped some of the shock value from breaches, and has changed the way organizations view and structure their defenses. continue reading »last_img read more

Public call for grants for DMK programs in 2020 published.

first_imgGrants are intended for programs for the development and introduction to the market of complex tourism products for the market of special interests that contribute to the following objectives: The deadline for submitting applications is April 6, 2020, and more details can be found in the attachment. Za jedan program korisniku se može odobriti potpora u bruto iznosu od 50.000,00 do 100.000,00 kuna, a ukupna vrijednost potpore koja se može odobriti po pojedinom korisniku može iznositi maksimalno 250.000,00 kuna. activating unused tourist resources and creating new motives for tourist arrivals throughout Croatiaenriching the tourist offerdevelopment of innovative products that enable the extension of the tourist season and the reduction of seasonality and the increase of tourist traffic, especially in the period before and after the season and on the continentcreating a recognizable image of Croatia as a destination of tourism of special interestmarket valorization of complex tourist products as a reason for the arrival of tourists in a particular destination in Croatia. Foto: Importanne Hotels & Resort S ciljem potpore razvoja destinacijskih menadžment kompanija (DMK), HTZ objavio je Javni poziv za dodjelu potpora programima destinacijskih menadžment kompanija u 2020. Attachment: Public call for grants to programs of destination management companies in 2020.last_img read more

A night on the Midtown

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Mourinho admits he was in the wrong over training session

first_imgTottenham boss Jose Mourinho has accepted he was in the wrong for holding a one-on-one training session with midfielder Tanguy Ndombele in a public park in London.Mourinho was pictured on social media flaunting government rules by meeting up with the midfielder Tuesday, even though they kept to social distancing guidelines.Fellow Spurs players Davinson Sanchez and Ryan Sessegnon were spotted running side by side in a separate session, while Serge Aurier filmed himself on Instagram running alongside a friend. Topics : “I accept that my actions were not in line with government protocol and we must only have contact with members of our own household,” said the Portuguese manager.”It is vital we all play our part and follow government advice in order to support our heroes in the NHS and save lives.”London Mayor Sadiq Khan told the BBC the players and Mourinho should be leading by example.”My concern is people, particularly children, who might support Spurs or follow football may see these images, pick up a paper, watch the internet and think, well if it’s OK for them, why isn’t it OK for me?” he said.center_img The Premier League has been suspended since mid-March due to the spread of COVID-19.The British government has introduced a strict series of measures to prevent the spread of the virus and Tottenham have reminded players of their responsibilities.The club said last week they would be using the government’s furlough financial assistance program for non-playing staff, a move that was seen as controversial and attracted a lot of criticism.last_img read more

Another Rp 1.8 trillion allocated to secure food supplies, help farmhands

first_imgThe ministry has also designed similar support for rice farmers hit by the declining price of unhusked rice. With the peak harvest season approaching this month, the average price of unhusked rice continued to fall to Rp 4,936 per kg in March from Rp 5,273 per kg in January, according to data from Statistics Indonesia (BPS).The ministry, therefore, has encouraged rice millers to use the government’s subsidized micro loan program (KUR to enable them to increase unhusked rice procurement from farmers The ministry also issued an edict to protect rice distributors from logistical disruption caused by the government’s social restrictions.“The ministry has also established buffer stocks for eleven staple foods in every province through the Toko Tani [a grocery store tasked with providing affordable food] in partnership with regional governments, state-owned and city-owned enterprises,” said Syahrul, a NasDem Party politician. “Those are the emergency plans we expect to implement until August.”The ministry is also allocating Rp 1.6 trillion for social safety nets for agricultural workers hit by the outbreak. With that money, the ministry would carry out labor-intensive programs for, among other things, by improving irrigation systems to help provide jobs for farm workers affected by the COVID-19 outbreak.The remaining Rp 45 billion of the adjusted allocation will be used for COVID-19 handling, including for the procurement of medical equipment and vitamins for its staff.Not all parties were happy with the ministry’s plan. House Commission IV member, Suhardi Duka, said the ministry’s allocation of Rp 45 billion for medical supplies for its staffs “was too much.” He also opposed the ministry’s plan to control prices.Topics : In addition to a number of social safety nets provided by the Social Affairs Ministry and other government institutions, the Agriculture Ministry has allocated Rp 1.85 trillion (US$117.6 million) to secure food supplies and help farm workers affected by the COVID-19 outbreak.Agriculture Minister Syahrul Yasin Limpo said that, of the total funds, the ministry would spend about Rp 199 billion to provide affordable food at markets, stabilize food prices, procure rice and cover the logistical cost of food distribution.“To secure food stocks in order to survive the COVID-19 outbreak and to meet the needs during Ramadan and Idul Fitri, the Agriculture Ministry is taking precautionary measures in line with the [the government’s regulations related to the pandemic handling],” Syahrul said in an online hearing with House of Representatives Commission IV, which oversees food and agriculture, on Thursday. “We are taking the measures by adjusting our budget.” The social restrictions imposed by the government to halt the spread of the COVID-19 have disrupted food supplies. The distribution disruption, coupled with surging demand, has led to an increase in prices.Syahrul said the ministry would partner with major poultry companies including PT Charoen Pokphan Indonesia, PT Japfa Comfeed Indonesia, PT Tri Putra Panganindo, PT Cimory, PT Indoguna Utama dan PT Agro Boga Utama to procure chickens from smallholders.The ministry had also cooperated with ride-haling companies to deliver food to consumers, the minister said, adding that the ministry provides cold storage facilities to companies engaged in the sale of processed meat, such as chicken nuggets.The price of eggs has declined significantly in recent days. In Bogor in West Java, for example, a chicken was sold on average between Rp 9,000 and Rp 10,000 per kilogram, well below the production cost of around Rp 18,000 per kg, according to data released on Wednesday by the Poultry Farmers Association and Information Center (Pinsar Indonesia).last_img read more

Trump to Republican governor: ‘too soon’ to reopen

first_imgAt his daily briefing, Trump told reporters “it’s too soon” for those businesses to resume operations. “I told the governor of Georgia, Brian Kemp, that I disagree strongly with his decision to open certain facilities which are in violation of the Phase One guidelines” for reopening issued last week. There must be 14 days of declining infection numbers before a reopening, the government said.”I respect him and I will let him make his decision. Would I do that? No. I’d keep them [closed] a little bit longer. I want to protect people’s lives,” Trump said.At the same press conference, the country’s top infectious disease expert, Anthony Fauci, said that if he were advising Kemp, “I would tell him that he should be careful. And I would advise him not to just turn the switch on and go.” US President Donald Trump issued rare criticism of a Republican state governor Wednesday, expressing strong disagreement with Georgia’s decision to reopen small businesses like tattoo parlors and nail salons.Trump’s administration last week laid out gradual plans to get America back to work while observing health guidelines as much as possible to limit the spread of the coronavirus.But Brian Kemp, governor of the southern state of Georgia, and Florida’s Ron DeSantis, both Republicans like Trump, have announced more aggressive easing of restrictions. Kemp said that from Friday he is allowing gyms, bowling alleys, tattoo parlors, barbershops, nail salons and other small firms to reopen. Topics :last_img read more